It does not matter if you run in competition, for a cause, to relieve stress, or just for fun, because below are the top ways that sports massage therapy will benefit all runners.
- Fatigue will be reduced. Instead of feeling like collapsing after a long run, adding regular sports massages to your routine will leave you feeling more energized and empowered, to go farther and increase the intensity of your overall workout routine.
- Blood flow increases, since sports massage is known to increase circulation, and when circulation is increased, then the body heals itself quicker and more effectively. In addition, blood pressure is lowered. It is important to keep in mind, that when the body is pushed and muscles are challenged while running, toxins are released into muscle tissues. Sports Massage therapy is one of the quickest and most pleasant ways to release these toxins that have attached themselves to muscle tissues. In addition, drinking water will encourage this metabolic waste to be flushed out of the system quickly and effectively, and any muscle soreness will be minimized.
- Flexibility and range of motion will be increased. Any athlete knows that the better their range of motion, the better their overall performance will be. Sports massage therapy will restore balance within the musculoskeletal system. Many runners experience pain in their calves, hamstrings, knees, Achilles tendon and IT Band. A trained sports massage therapist usually knows the area that is feeling painful, is usually not where the problem is. For instance, if a runner feels pain in the hamstring, it could be that, that muscle is being over stretched, because the hip flexor muscles are shorter. It is important to remember, that when muscles are tired from over exertion, other muscles will attempt to bring the body back into balance. Many times, these muscles are unable to sustain that type of energy, as it is not their main job. When not addressed, this muscle will strain, and cause a domino-like chain reaction, and other muscles will be affected, and that is where the pain may be felt. A qualified therapist will be able to analyze these issues, and create a treatment plan that will break this chain of painful events.
- Regular sports massage therapy sessions will create a mental and physical state of relaxation. When stress is reduced, everything seems brighter, and energy is restored in the body and the mind.
- Heart function will improve, because sports massage therapy is able to relax the respiratory muscles. When the heart is working at optimum levels, a runner will be able to perform at top levels, and possibly go beyond what they thought was their peak performance.
Whether you get sports massage weekly or monthly, it is important that you stick to a regular schedule. In addition, pre-race sports massage should be scheduled a few days prior to the race, and it is also recommended that post-race sports massages be schedule a few days after the race, so that muscles are not painful to the touch.